It’s hot innit? And this weather is all about the salad! However, if you still like a bit of spice to your supper, this is the salad for you! The tangy dressing livens up the beautiful dark green leafy base and the roasted almonds give it a deep flavoured protein crunch. Combine with the suggested sides, or just some nice crusty bread! Serves two people, so multiply the quantities if you’re feeding more greedy mouths.
- Three or four big kale leaves – remove tough stalks and rip into pieces
- Four gem lettuce leaves shredded
- A big handful of spinach leaves shredded
- 1/4 cubed cucumber
- 4 bright red tomatoes chopped
- Around 50g almonds roasted in the oven for 10 minutes
- Half a block of smoked tofu
- Half a red chilli (select chilli size based on your love of spice!)
- Two cloves of garlic finely chopped
- Two tablespoons of seseme seeds
The dressing – put in a shaker or a clean jam jar and shake until fully mixed together then toss into salad.
- 3/4 cup of olive oil
- 2 – 3 teaspoons pomegranate syrup
- 2 – 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt and pepper
Blend together one and a half avocados, half a chilli, one garlic clove and juice from half a lemon. You can make this spicy or not, but the chilli tastes great with the creamy avocado!
Get some tiny baby potatoes, coat in olive oil and a sprinkling of Rosemary. The good thing about roasting baby potatoes is that they only take about 20 minutes!
And there you have a great simple salad with a spicy kick.It easy to be a bit skeptical that salads won’t be filling, but the strong flavours and deep green raw veg in this dish won’t leave you hungry.