Chickens are emotionally intelligent, playful and sociable animals – way too sweet to eat! But without harming a feather on our chicken friends backs, you can still have a deliciously creamy chicken and vegetable pie, if only you’ll follow these simple steps!
1 Packet of Fry’s chicken style strips
1 tablespoon margarine
4 carrots, chopped
200g peas (frozen or tinned)
200g Sweetcorn (frozen or tinned)
1 head of broccoli, chopped
1 tablespoon sage
1 tablespoon thyme
1 cup unsweetened plant milk
1 teaspoon english mustard
1 cup nutritional yeast flakes
2 teaspoons cornflour (dissolved in a little water)
1 packet jus-roll puff pastry (defrosted!)
- Melt the margarine and add in the chicken strips from frozen. Cook until they start to soften.
- Add the sage and thyme, carrots, sweetcorn and peas. Cook for 5 mins before adding broccoli
- Stir in the plant milk, veg stock, nutritional yeast, mustard and dissolved cornflour. Season with pepper to taste.
- Cook for around 10 minutes and make sure the sauce begins to thicken – think relatively thick gravy consistency, but not gloop! Add water if needed or a little more dissolved cornflour if it’s not thick enough.
- While it cooks, roll out one pastry block big enough to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Pour the cooked mixture into the dish and place the second rolled out pastry block on top. Pinch the sides together with a fork. If you prefer less pastry, just pour the mix straight into the oven dish and only put pastry on the top.
- Wash the top with plant milk and bake in the oven on 200 degrees/gas mark 6 for 30 – 45 minutes. Just keep an eye on for the top to turn golden brown!
Completely fit served with potatoes, roasted tomato and even more veg if you fancy bumping up to your ten per day!
What more pie? Try my steak-less and ale pie recipe!